Tuesday, October 29, 2013

THOUGHTS ON HAMLET (IN PROGRESS)

Coming into the play, I thought Hamlet was going to just go crazy and the story was going to be depressing and uninteresting.  But as I have read all through Act III, I have definitely changed my mind!  I now think that Hamlet is a mad genius.  He constantly says things with a double meaning that other characters never catch on to.  BRILLIANT!  I understand how betrayed he feels from his mother marrying his uncle, and his uncle killing his father for the thrown, and even Lord Polonius intervening with him and Ophelia.  Hamlet is an insanely emotional character.  When he is happy, he is in a state of euphoria.  If he is mad, he detests everything.  If he is sad, well expect lugubrious soliloquies from him. He feels everything so deeply and to an extreme.  He also however can pick up on things that others can't.  I can understand in that sense why he would be so annoyed with the idiocy that lives with.  Gertrude.  Come on.  Marrying your husband's brother two months after his death?  With very little mourning?  And your new husband doesn't look at all suspicious?  Really now?

As we continue with the play, I feel like a major struggle is going to take place between Hamlet and Claudius.  Given Claudius's previous murder method, I don't think Claudius is going to confront Hamlet but rather the other way around.  As for Gertrude, I don't think she will play a huge role.  Ophelia might come back into the play though.  Maybe she will be able to scheme with Hamlet.  Or she could go against him because after all, Hamlet did kill her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment