Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Filter Bubbles

a.  I learned that the internet personalizes the stories we read or click on by past stories we have clicked on.  Google, Facebook, Netflix, and even Yahoo news is doing this!
b.  The internet is such an important tool but as it has become more and more personalized, I don't see how it is more of a tool but a toy.  I use my computer as a tool.  I have it for the purpose of homework and essays or any research I have to do.  That is its main purpose.  But as I see the internet become personalized to me, although it is a cool idea, I am more and more weary of search results now.
c.  I believe this video is raising the awareness that personalization isn't always a good thing.  We need to know true news in the world rather than the gossip that is going on with the real housewifes or who Taylor Swift's next boyfriend is.  We need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly, and unfortunately, we aren't getting any of the bad or the ugly unless we search for it ourselves.
d.  To improve my internet searches, I will be much more specific in how I look for things.  I will try to search the good and the bad.  I personally don't go onto any of the sites that were mentioned but I'm sure there are more out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment