Sunday, November 24, 2013

Reading Notes and Questions for No Exit


Questions:

A space can be beautiful and be hell.  Take any of countries at war for example.  Egypt is so rich with history and monuments but there is so much violence going on that it is a hell.  A place can be beautiful but everything can be constant so that it becomes a hell.  If you accept your surroundings and try to find the positive in a hellish environment you will be able to find peace.

Hell could be doing something you hate for the rest of your life, like getting up and going to work a job you despise but it pays your bills so you have to or playing a sport you are good at but really don’t enjoy.  Variety is the spice of life.  Without any variety, moderation, or balance, life wouldn’t nearly be as enjoyable as it is.  I mean, eating the same meal for the rest of my life would make me pretty irritated.

Sartre’s dialogue expresses a sense of eternal hopelessness and constancy.   I could never imagine what it would be like to not sleep.  Sleep is one of the greatest pleasures I have in life.  I couldn’t stay in one place at the same time either.  I get stir-crazy if I can’t leave my house when I am sick.  Garcin thinks this world is absurd.  If I tried to make my life into a routine, my world would become hell.






Did they even proofread this before posting it?  I know that I make grammar and spelling errors too, but with such a major piece, wouldn’t you double-check it?

Inez: Murdered a man because she wanted his wife
Garcin: slept with countless women even though he had a devoted wife… left his country… coward…  wife died of grief after the war was over
Estelle: Her husband killed himself because she had a baby with a poor man?  Killed her baby...  Her best friend betrays her to be with a boy that loved her… told him the whole story of her “vacation in Switzerland”



No comments:

Post a Comment