Sunday, March 9, 2014

Benchmark Project

My project is coming along very well.  Body Image is a very complex subject, so I have done a wide variety of research.  I have definitions of words important to my topic which could give deeper meaning and understanding to my project.  We feel like beauty is decided based upon a number, weight or waist size.  Yet the definition of beauty is completely opposite to that.  Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder yet, we tend to look at a certain kind of people as beautiful.  Why?
I have learned that we need to become media literate.  We need to see that the media portrays a certain kind of people as beautiful which only a small percentage of the world actually attains.  We don't see anything based upon the diversity of our nation, and even then it never is what it seems with photoshop.  These 'beautiful' people have great looks to start but then they are enhanced.  It makes us want to achieve this type of beauty but it doesn't exist!
This causes us to see ourselves as less or to feel self conscious of how we look because we aren't as  'perfect' as the media portrays.  Everyone feels it in one way or another and that is what I am exploring. Along with that, I will be giving exercises to add to our self-esteem to show people that they are worth something and are beautiful.  I want to take pictures of people and show what they are most self-conscious about no matter how small.  Sometimes we are self-conscious about the weirdest things that everybody else thinks nothing of or actually finds beautiful.  Then I want to take pictures of what we find beautiful about ourselves and put it into a video.
I have dealt with these problems all throughout my life.  I will share my own experiences to show why I am so passionate about this subject.  I will let people share there own experiences if they want to but it isn't required.
The hardest part of my project is making it the cliched "Everyone is beautiful."  I don't want people to be bored by my project or think it is an easy subject because it has so much more behind it...

No comments:

Post a Comment